Asparagus with Tomato-Olive Garnish
Asparagus, seasoned simply with olive oil, salt, and perhaps a squeeze of lemon juice, is a natural companion for almost any seafood dish. This variation is for occasions—or moods—that call for an extra flourish.
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced, or 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 4 Mediterranean olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. Combine the tomato, olives, and cheese in a small bowl. Toss with a little olive oil.
2. Simmer the asparagus in salted boiling water until barely tender (alternatively, steam the asparagus); drain. Arrange the spears on a serving platter, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle lightly with salt and, if desired, pepper. Spoon the tomato-olive garnish across the center of the asparagus. Serve at room temperature.
Peeling the bottom half of asparagus stems is optional, but adds a note of elegance that seems fitting for this dish. It’s especially nice with thick asparagus spears.
Asparagus with Mushroom-Cheese Garnish: Trim and chop 4 white or crimini mushrooms (about 1 cup). Sauté the mushrooms and 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft; season lightly with salt. Off heat, stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese. Prepare the asparagus as described in the recipe, substituting the mushroom-cheese garnish. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nothing could be simpler, healthier, or more delicious than baked or grilled fish, served Sicilian style with a simple samoriglio sauce of olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and oregano—and this cookbook shows you how to put such a dish on the table.Buy it now
These addictive morsels- which some contend are the "original" French Fries— hail from the South of France (specifically Marseille). Both crisp and creamy, they are out-of-this-world good.
A quick, portable, and powerful snack that provides an energetic pick-me-up whenever and where ever you need it.